Saturday, November 15, 2008

Gold-Buying Parties

I was invited to attend one today, and I went with a bunch of 'gold' items. I have bought some scrap jewelry in bulk, and didnt know exactly what I did and did not have.

It turns out I had one 14k chain, worth about 3.10 in gold. my check will be comming soon, lol! Since I'm not a yellow-gold wearer, I know little about it other than the purity levels. Gold isnt marked nearly as well as silver is.... and that is a shame.

There is a handy tip I learned from the friendly "Mr Goldstein" (yes, that was his name) for detecting what was gold and what was not.

Hold a magnet over it.

Simple as that. Mettal alloys with gold fill are instantly atracted to the magnet. Gold in purity, is not. If it is a chain, hold it over the chain itself, for the clasps can be different metals, even if the gold is pure!

Hope you enjoy he interesting lesson!

1 comment:

ahnn said...

Great tip on the magnet. Gold parties can very good party to attend to. You can earn money on it.