Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hessonite Garnet


Hessonite Garnets... The first loose stones I bought while in a rock shop in Kauai.. not very big, but I would say at least a carat and a half combined. These stones are also not very clear, with many inclusions, but they will always be dear to me... my first stones! They were a mystery at the time, because I had no idea what Hessonite was... much less could I guess if they were a garnet! The bright, tangerine look is strongly remnicient of the tropics, and will always be a reminder of my time on the island!!

The resarch is hard to find for these.. as they are neither as popular as the rare green Tsavorite, or as common as the red garnet... Which, by the way, I own several of, set in jewelry pieces, of corse.

However, with patience, and diligence, I hae come across some stunning information about these beautiful stones!

http://www.gehnabazaar.com/gemstones/37/hessonite-garnet.html

This helpful website suggests that these stones are popular in India, where they are called gomedha or gomedh.. Raju ratna and Ping Spatik! Who knew this gem had such exotic names!

Well, one thinks that they are exotic, unless you speek sanskrit, and you know that Gomedh literally translates to " the color of cow urine"!!!

In indian culture this stone seems to be quite, quite popular, cited as a cure for most of what ales you.

No comments: